Chak De Phattey!

"Hey! What does this phrase "exactly" mean?" I have been asked again and again, especially after the movie 'Chak De', and every time I had to come out with some weird examples. For obvious reasons I can't say, it means "Lift the wooden planks and pull the lever." Today, when someone asked me this again, I decided to do some googling.

The phrase is: Chak De Phattey; Nap De Killi.


Chak De Phatte is used when one is in full Josh and determined to achieve some positive results. Not literally, but it's like saying 'Let's do it!'

Vaise I have also heard him saying:
Chak De Phatte, Nap De Killi
Subhe Jalandhar, Sham Nu Dilli...

This Jalandhar to Delhi journey is still a mystery. 
Well if I start in an Amritsar Shatabdi at 6:15 am, I will reach Delhi by 11:15 am(unless of course its not foggy). So, is it not like: Subhe Jalandhar, Dopahar Nu Delhi?? 
Ok, now if this saying goes back to a few decades back when transportation was not as good as now, then of course it does make sense!

Comments

abhi said…
haha...
the shyam at Dilli he means, is by walk... not everyone gets it., only those who walk such distances..:P
Anamika Anyone said…
Interesting.. I've thought about the phrase too.. In the movie 'Hum Tum' there is a song 'Chak de sare gham'. And after that came the song 'Chak De India'. Having never heard of the full saying or its meaning, I wondered about the use of the same words to mean contradictory things.
Parneet said…
@abhi:
all that I could imagine was people using bullock carts or cycles; but travelling till Delhi by walk is beyond my imaginations, really not everyone gets it :D

@Anamika:
i'm happy that you got the meaning :)
Unknown said…
Yo! Bro!!!... Sorry, Yo! Sis! :D
Have been watching Jugni.... of late, can't get the episode outta my head... Imagine Yo! Bro! in punjabi tone... :)

Finally people know the logic for the famous dialogue.
Chak de phatte! Nap de killi...
Sawer nu Jalandhar, Shaam nu Dilli...



Alternative explanation...
"Chak de phatte" means 'come On! (like u said)
Nap de killi >> now, the accelerator of a car is also called 'killi'...
so if u "nap de killi" or press the accelerator in "chak de" josh you will reach Delhi by evening if you start from Jalandhar in morning!!! :D
Parneet said…
@Aman:
heheehee. Yo Bro! Its difficult to get that episode out of mind. Good you added your interpretation too. Sounds convincing!